The course INF 4401 – Introduction To Databases is a third-year cours in a business school (level Master 2) given at IMT-BS in the internation track. At the end of this course, the student will know what a database is, what the different kinds of databases are, how to work with relational databases and how to code using SQL. In details, a student will know how to:
- Describe data using the relational model.
- Use relational algebra to formally modelize a query on relational data.
- Code in SQL, with basic commands and aggregation.
- Modelize data using the entity-relationship model.
- Manipulate a RDBMS.
- Choose the adequate database kind among relational database and NoSQL alternatives
CI1Introduction And Relational Algebra
- Databases and information systems
- Types of Databases
- Relational Algebra
- From relational algebra to SQL
- SFW queries
- Set operations
- Grouping and Aggregation
- Order by and limit
- Entity-relationship diagram
- Mapping to database schema
- Data description in SQL
- Data updates in SQL
- SQL injections
- Ecosystem of NoSQL databases
- Key-Value Storage
CI7Review of Concepts
- Review of the concepts in the lecture
- Solution homework
CM : Cours Magistral (lecture only) CI : Cours Intégré (lecture and lab)